Schofferhofer Beer Shoot

Finished Image


So for the first shot of this series of beer images I plan to work on, I decided to do this shoot all on location. This provided it's fair share of challenges verse shooting in the studio. First off it was extremely windy out and at one point I was using a roll of Rosco #3008 Tough Frost but it was blowing all over the place while standing right next to a pool. So after removing the diffusion I actually liked the hard light more due to the shadows it created.


I recently went to the store to try some new beers and while I was there I decided I wanted to try shooting some beers for my portfolio.  After sitting on the floor trying to find the perfect hero bottles I left the store with 4 different beers and a few ideas in my head. After getting home I decided to spend the day relaxing by the pool and shooting the first beer out of the set for this project. 

The selection of beer at the store

The selection of beer at the store

Panorama of the set

     Another issue I ran into was time, as we where running out of natural sun light and the color temperature of the ambient light started to change fast. I also ran my lights off of external battery power which meant no modeling lamps on the strobes. So it became a guessing game trying to get light placement right.

     For light placement I had an Alien Bee 800 with the 7 in reflector at 1/4 power coming in as a back light at about 45 degrees. This helped highlight the beer and give off some nice shadows similar to the sun. I then had a speed light camera left lighting the left side of the label of the bottle and falling off to give the bottle some depth. I fired off a few shots and used a silver and dull silver bounce cards to add in fill as necessary and make the grapefruit and labels pop.

Post Production

     After shooting are images I broke the images down into my favorites for each part I would need to combine. We had a base image file, 3 images for the grapefruit, about 10 images for the bottle and its label and 2 images for the table. I masked in the selected layers, added some layer adjustments and dodge and burned selected parts of the image and finished with an 11x14 crop.

Gear Used

  • Camera: Nikon D750
  • Lens: Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro
  • Speedlight/Strobe: Yongnuo 560 III & Alien Bee B800
  • Beer: Schofferhofer Grapefruit
  • 3 Grapefruit
Austin BurkeComment